Thursday, November 3, 2016

Why Travel the Globe?

Why Travel the Globe

If you asked me ten years ago, "Mike would you ever want to travel to another country?" I would say, "I don't think so." However, my opinion has altered every since my experience in Seville, Spain. When I was twenty-one years of age, I lived in Spain for almost a year. When I got on the plane, I did not know a single soul. In fact, I was the only East coast kid in my whole entire study abroad group. However, that did not affect my trip at all. In fact, I embraced the opportunity that I was given. I had a chance to immerse myself in a culture that I was studying back in the United States. I took up on the offer to immerse myself in a beautiful and unique culture. 

Over in Spain, I not only became fluent in speaking, but I also became fluent in the rhythm of the Flamenco. The Flamenco is a dance that originated in Andalusia Spain. It is a traditional dance that is celebrated at many big events in Spain. My housemother signed me and my roommates up for the dance classes. After three classes, we were hooked on the lessons. When I returned to the United States, I promised that I would immerse my friends and family into a culture that I fell in love with. As time begins to grow between my time in Spain, my love for the culture only strengthens because I do not want to forget that part of my life.


Vocabulary

Immerse: The involve oneself in an activity or interest

Embrace: Act of supporting or accepting something with enthusiasm

Altered: To change or cause a change in character.

Hooked: To be excited or fixated on something

Traditional: An original or well respected event or activity.

Activity 1


Find the Synonym- Each word below is a synonym for a word above. TRY AND FIND THEM!!!


Dynamic, change-

Support

Participate-

Dedicated to it-

Original-

Activity 2
Directions: Create a five sentence story using synonyms to the words below.

Word Bank
Immerse                             Embrace                   Differentiate                          Traditional          Colossal

Example: When traveling to another country, it is important to immerse oneself with the foreign world. We must all embrace change and the diversity that surrounds us. In order to differentiate culture, we must learn about other cultures first. Whether it is practicing traditional culture or new and current culture. We must all br ready for small, or colossal changes that can occur in our lives.



Synonyms:

Synonyms are extremely important in the English language. They help us create a consistent tone and message without using the same word or phrase. I believe that synonyms helps a good writer become a great writer. If a writer is using synonyms of a word, then they are not being repetitive and keeping a strong and detailed message. 





2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    I loved reading about your experience in Spain! I wish I would've studied abroad, and Spain is somewhere I would've loved to go to. It sounds like you really immersed yourself in the culture, which is the best way to really learn a language. I enjoyed your explanation on synonyms, and think that it is a great grammar point and activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great experiences in Spain for a language teacher! Will you be demonstrating the flamenco in class? You have included a nice explanation of synonyms.What would you assign your students to do with them?

    ReplyDelete